Wednesday, July 15, 2009

When Michael Jackson 'Happened' to me twice!


By: Rajbir Deswal
I am more amazed at my association (?) with Michael Jackson who I didn’t know (!) till I landed in London in 1992. Being an Indian and always fond of Indian light music, I had no idea of pop except our own desi variety.When I was told by my host in London that Michael Jackson had come to perform there, I could not figure out the newsyness of the thing, nor had I an idea that the guy would make big news in the tabloids the next morning.Lo and behold, he was shown in the frontpage pics appearing in the balcony of his hotel, when thousands of his fans had assembled to catch a glimpse of their beau idol!There after, I associated myself with the legendary Michael in many ways including imitating his style (then acrobatics for me and many others of my ilk) at the cost of developing low back ache once in a while.The second time Michael Jackson ‘happened’ to me was the day he died. I was by chance in Los Angeles, his own city, when the tidings came that he breathed his last.Something in me had me rush to the Walk of Fame near Kodak Theatre in Hollywood. I stood by his ‘star’ for hours and witnessed his admirers remembering him almost singing encomiums and saying paeans with the common refrain being “We love you Michael!”People were taking their turns to offer their love and obeisance not failing to pose for a photo in the backdrop of a continuing ‘mini-memorial fans service’. I too posed for a photo which will be with me for all times to come as a reminder to the King of Pop.While they are having a memorial service for Michael Jakson in LA, I can chime in with his fans to say “We love you Michael!” See me in the pic...yes behind a Rayban!

1 comment:

Megha Mann said...

Had Michael Jackson been an Indian star, people would have made trips to the temples praying for a miracle. Our pandits would have gone bananas collecting dakshina in name of giving shaanti to departed soul and so on.
thank God he was not an India.
Megha