Wednesday, July 7, 2010

His Masters' Choice


His Masters’ Choice
By: Rajbir Deswal
The ongoing fight over the ownership of a dog in Panchkula has interesting goingson to watch. The issue being sub judice, I wouldn’t comment but I can’t help sharing what a dog soliloquised during my evening stroll yesterday:
To be owned, or not to be,
by Armymen or bureaucrats,
is the question.
Whether it’s canine,
to be loyal to one,
face, court-n-cops,
DNA and micro chips,
be high on media hype,
or to spread out c-laws,
and raise the voice,
be cross-examined,
tuck the tail in hinds,
sit on haunches thru trial,
and wait with salivating tongue,
to be declared,
His Master’s Choice.
O’ to regain my straying here-n-there!
Everywhere. And rule the lanes.
Unlike those fatty sleep O’ nites,
With pats, bones n bites,
Who shall on leash remain.
O’ my tail, though taut n curling,
Thou hast always known,
Straightness of sagacious counsel.
What is in a name?
That which they call a Leo,
Might sound as unpredictable,
Or—a Marshall, as lowly,
If love not be there,
And instinctive friendliness,
My calling will be the same.
Otherwise O’ wisemen listen,
I miss my day when on couch I lay,
Brooding over my intent,
Put to test and question,
feeling shamed at my predicament,
Of a joy claimed not by one,
And not the only one, but two.
Though the world knows,
And all beings there to,
That we are known,
As the Watch-dogs,
And not to be watched,
With museum interest, or zoo!

2 comments:

AnilM said...

beautiful.

CrapSoul said...

Reminded me of Dalai Lama's dog test to gauge about human personality. As per this test the way you describe a dog shows about your personality traits. Nicely written poetic piece!!! Going axially, I believe that a dog is the owner of his master's thoughts. Master controls dog relents and then it becomes a habit to satisfy his master and therein I believe lies the knots of the riddle that a dog owns the master. To me Kahlil Gibran's dog was free of any emotional leash when he said that - Free indeed when your days are not without a care nor your nights without a want and a grief. If wishes were horses I crave to be a dog of my dreams...Alas!!!